The Chinese company has finally introduced the successor to the Xiaomi Mi A2 — meet the Xiaomi Mi A3. Serving under the Android One program, the latest device brings upgrades and improvements with one questionable change in feature. The price starts at €250 (~P14.3k) for the 4GB/64GB and goes up to €280 (~P16k) for the 128GB storage.
Xiaomi Mi A3 Now Official
The design department has received quite an improvement from last year, with the teardrop notch display and gradient finish on the back. It comes in three aptly named colors: Kind of Gray, Not just Blue, More than White. There’s also Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection for the display. While the switch from IPS LCD to Super AMOLED is welcome, the downgrade in resolution from FHD+ to HD+ is questionable. Other than that, it’s the Mi A series that we’ve come to love.
Chipset-wise, we are looking at a more efficient Snapdragon 665 based on 11nm process node. We are also glad to report that microSD slot is making a comeback, supporting up to 256GB via shared SIM slot. Furthermore, the audio jack stays and the fingerprint scanner is now based on under-screen technology. There’s also a large 4030mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0 (18W) support, however, the box only includes a standard 10W charger.
One of the biggest upgrades this year is the camera. It carries three sensors on the back — 48MP f1.7 with no OIS + 8MP f2.2 ultrawide + 2MP depth. While the front selfie is powered by a 32MP f2.0 AI sensor.
Xiaomi Mi A3 Faces Competition vs Mi CC9
The Xiaomi Mi A3 will launch first in Spain, where it’s already up for pre-order. We can expect the rest of the world, including the Philippines, to receive it in the next few weeks.
We’re a bit disappointed that the phone is limited to 4GB RAM only when the rest of the mid-range market is using 6GB. That said, it faces steep competition against the recently announced Mi CC9 featuring more RAM, higher display resolution, and faster chipset for the same (estimated) price.
Xiaomi Mi A3 specs, price, availability in the Philippines
- Display: 6.01-inch Super AMOLED HD+, teardrop notch, Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Design: aluminum frame, 3D glass back
- CPU: Qualcomm SDM665 Snapdragon 665 (11 nm)
- GPU: Adreno 610 graphics
- RAM: 4GB
- Memory: 64/128 GB, 4 GB RAM + microSD, up to 256 GB (uses shared SIM slot)
- Camera: 48 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 1/2″, 0.8µm, PDAF
8 MP, (ultrawide), f/2.2, 1.12µm
2 MP, f/2.4, depth sensor
- Connectivity: 4G LTE A, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, USB Type-C, headphone jack
- Security: under-screen fingerprint scanner
- Battery: 4030 mAh, Quick Charge 3.0 (18W)
- OS: Android 9.0 Pie with stock Android One
- Release date: July 24, 2019 Spain, TBA Philippines
- Price: €250 (~P14.3k) to €280 (~P16k)