Meet the fastest and most powerful android phone to date — the Asus ROG Phone 2. One can easily say it’s an overkill phone for its specs, but gaming-wise, it’s just the right amount of power. Although the ROG Phone 2 isn’t yet officially priced, The Verge was told that it will arrive close to the original price of the predecessor — P49,995 ($899 in the US).
ASUS ROG Phone 2 Now Official
In terms of design, it’s similar to the ROG Phone with the gamer-y aesthetic complete with configurable LED. However, you do get a larger FHD+ display which now brags up to 120Hz refresh rate (even smoother than the 90Hz of OnePlus 7 Pro). Furthermore, the touch response rate is 240Hz, with Asus claiming it has the fastest screen recognition on a phone at 49ms touch latency. Lastly is an under-screen fingerprint scanner.
Spec-wise, we are looking at a Snapdragon 855+ that was recently announced. It’s also the first phone on the market to sport one. If you think battery life would be a problem due to the overclocked SoC and higher refresh rate, Asus included a massive 6000mAh tank that allows up to 7 hours of PUBG Mobile gameplay at 60Hz. On top of that, you can charge the ROG Phone 2 via 30W Quick Charge 4.
We do have to mention that the ROG Phone 2 is the heaviest smartphone at 240g, even beating the 208g Apple XS Max. It also has a longer and wider footprint, due to user demands. Although it’s on the heavy side, the back has vents for better heat management from the vapor chamber. Some of the features that you’ve to expect are — stereo speakers, air triggers, NFC, BT 5.0, Wi-Fi ad, 3.5mm audio jack, 24MP f2.2 selfie camera, and 48MP f1.8 + 13MP f2.4 main camera. Sadly, you can’t expand the storage.
Last year, not everyone was a fan of the gaming-centric skin-heavy UI of ROG Phone. This year, the company is giving users an option to switch between it and a near-stock Android US, à la Zenfone 6. The existing gaming accessories are now improved, too, while there’s a new gamepad addition called “Kunai” that’s inspired by Nintendo Switch’s Joy-Con.
ROG Phone 2 is expected to be released worldwide starting first of September. Also, China will receive the glossy back design while the rest of the world will have to settle for the matte finish.
ASUS ROG Phone 2 gaming full specs, features, availability, and price
- Display: 6-59inch FHD+ AMOLED, HDR10, 120Hz refresh rate, 108.6% DCIP3, Gorilla Glass 6
- Design: configurable ROG logo RGB lighting, Vapor Chamber cooling, Air Trigger controls, side-mounted port, back vent
- CPU: Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855 Plus (7 nm)
- GPU: Adreno 640 graphics (700Mhz)
- Memory: 12GB
- Storage: 256/512GB UFS 3.0
- Camera: 48 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/2″, 0.8µm, PDAF/Laser AF
13 MP, f/2.4, 11mm (ultrawide)
- Selfie: 24MP, f/2.2
- Battery: 6,000 mAh, Quick Charge 4.0, reverse charging
- Security: under-screen fingerprint sensor, face unlock
- Connectivity: Dual SIM, NFC, WiFi ad, Bluetooth 5.0, aptX HD
- Audio: dual front-facing speakers, audio jack with 24-bit and DTS Headphone X
- Ports: 3.5mm audio jack, USB Type-C 3.1
- OS: Android 9.0 Pie with interchangeable ROG Gaming X UI and near-stock Android Pie UI
- Price: rumored to be close to P49,995 or $899USD