2018 Gaming Phone Specs Comparison
As we enter the second year for gaming phones, a few big names have joined the list, namely the recently unveiled Huawei Mate 20 X and upcoming ASUS ROG Phone. As the aforementioned brands debut their respective devices, Razer Phone 2 is at the helm. So, what could be the differences and similarities between the three behemoth gaming phones?
The Notable Differences
- Mate 20 X sports an 18.7:9 extended notched display with thin bezels. While the other two maintains the standard 16:9 aspect ratio with relatively thick bezels.
- ASUS ROG Phone has a gamer-y design accented by its LED logo which the Razer Phone 2 also has but with a cleaner overall design. The Mate 20 X maintains the sleek chassis of a 2018 flagship phone.
- IP67 dust and water resistant(Razer Phone 2); IP53(Mate 20 X) dust and splash resistant; No IP rating but claims to be waterproof (ROG Phone)
- 120Hz 1440p resolution but with IPS LCD for Razer while a lower 1080p is found on the other two but with AMOLED panels. However, the ROG Phone goes up to 90Hz refresh rate.
- Mate 20 X uses a faster 7nm SoC.
- ROG Phone doesn’t come with an expandable storage.
- Triple camera setup is found on the Mate 20 X while the rest has the common dual camera setup.
- There’s no headphone jack on the Razer Phone 2.
- Mate 20 X has a larger 5000mAh battery compared to the other two’s 4000mAh.
- Only the Mate 20 X runs on the latest Android Pie while Razer Phone 2 will get it soon. No word yet whether ASUS will update its own.
- Mate 20 X packs in 6GB RAM while 8GB RAM for the other two.
- Optional Stylus for the Mate 20 X.
The Notable Similarities
- Single front facing camera.
- Supports hi-fi audio playback.
- Bluetooth 5.0 aptX HD audio codec.
- Dedicated fingerprint scanner.
- Quick Charging 4+ (Mate 20 X fast charging at 22.5W)
- HDR playback support.
- Stereo speakers.
All in all, the overall package of Mate 20 X holds the advantage in performance and efficiency with its latest 7nm SoC, not to mention its awesome triple camera setup. It’s also expected to last longer with its larger battery and lower 60Hz refresh rate.
On the other hand, the true gaming Razer Phone 2 and ASUS ROG Phone will please more gamers with its higher refresh rate as well as the design cues. While it does come with thick bezels, this makes the phones easier to handle.
|Specs||Huawei Mate 20 X||Razer Phone 2||ASUS ROG PHONE|
|Display||7.2-inch IPS LCD, 1080 x 2244 pixels, 18.7:9 ratio ~346 ppi||5.5-inch IGZO IPS LCD, 1440 x 2560 pixels, 16:9 ratio ~513 ppi 5.5-inch IGZO IPS LCD||6-inch AMOLED, 1080 x 2160 pixels, 18:9 ratio ~402 ppi|
|Dimensions||174.6 x 85.4 x 8.2 mm||158.5 x 79 x 8.5 mm||158.8 x 76.2 x 8.7 mm|
|Chipset||HiSilicon Kirin 980 (7nm)||Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 (10nm)||Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 (10nm) (overclockable)|
|GPU||Mali-G76 MP10||Adreno 630||Adreno 630|
|Memory/RAM||128 GB, 6 GB RAM + 256GB expandable storage||64 GB, 8 GB RAM + 512GB expandable storage||128/512 GB, 8 GB RAM|
|Main Camera||40 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide), 1/1.7″, PDAF/Laser AF|
20 MP, f/2.2, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/2.7″, PDAF/Laser AF
8 MP, f/2.4, 80mm (telephoto), 1/4″, 5x optical zoom, OIS, PDAF/Laser AF
|12 MP, f/1.8, 25mm (wide), 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, dual pixel PDAF, OIS|
12 MP, f/2.6, 1/3.1″, 1.0µm, 2x optical zoom
|12 MP, f/1.8, 24mm (wide), 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, 4-axis OIS, dual pixel PDAF|
8 MP, 12mm, no AF
|Front Camera||24 MP, f/2.0, 26mm (wide)||8 MP, f/2.0||8 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (wide)|
|Connectivity||Hybrid Dual SIM, WiFi ac, Bluetooth 5.0, 4G LTE+, Infrared, Wireless display||Dual SIM, NFC, WiFi ac, Bluetooth 5.0||Dual SIM, NFC, WiFi ac, Bluetooth 5.0|
|OS||Android 9.0 Pie||Android 8.1 Oreo (upgradable to 9.0 Pie)||Android 8.1 Oreo with ROG Gaming X UI|
|Official Price in Philippine pesos||estimated at Php49,990||estimated at Php 44,990 up to Php 49,990||estimated at Php 49,995 up to Php 59,995|