Even the poor man’s Huawei Mate 30 Pro is still very expensive for most consumers. Introducing Huawei Mate 30 — a powerful phone and camera for a price of €799 (~P46k) for the 8GB/128B model.
Huawei Mate 30 — Still an expensive flagship phone
Huawei’s “small phone” packs nearly the same design and specs as Mate 30 Pro. You still get the large, rounded camera module on the back, however, there’s only IP53 rating and a flat display. But if we’re to talk about quality, Huawei didn’t skimp on it.
The screen has a size of 6.62″ with an FHD+ OLED panel. While it still comes with a notch, it’s not as large as the one on the Mate 30 Pro.
Starting with the cameras, the main module uses a 40MP Supersensing sensor that comes with enhanced RYYB sensor — delivering up to ISO 204800. Alongside it is a 16MP f2.2 ultrawide sensor that’s also capable of 2.5cm macro photography. While the third sensor is an 8MP f2.4 telephoto that offers 3x optical zoom, 5x hybrid, and 30x digital. It also supports optical image stabilization (OIS). Finally, 4K @ 60fps video recording is now available.
In the case of selfie camera, Mate 30 uses a 24MP f2.0 sensor. Without a 3D ToF sensor, bokeh effect is achieved thru software algorithm.
Running Kirin 990 chipset, Mate 30 is capable of 5G connectivity. It supports 5G dual-SIM slot, too. Powering the phone is a large 4200mAh battery. You can use the company’s improved reverse wireless charging here, as well as its 40W SuperCharge and 27W wireless charging. With Android 10 out of the box, the Mate 30 comes with the re-designed EMUI 10. But due to the ongoing US-Huawei Trade Ban, Google apps and services are not included. Getting a Huawei Mate 30 means getting Huawei Mobile Services which is plagued with China-centric services.
Two things Huawei Mate 30 have and its bigger sibling doesn’t are headphone jack and a speaker grille. Even if this is Huawei’s least expensive flagship phone, it still costs a lot especially when compared to Apple iPhone 11 that costs around P36k.
Huawei Mate 30 5G specs, price, availability in the Philippines
- Display: 6.62-inch Full HD+ OLED, Corning Gorilla Glass 6 (back and front), DCI-P3 HDR, HDR10
- Design: aluminum frame, glass back and front, IP53 water and dust resistant
- CPU: HiSilicon Kirin 990 (7 nm+)
- RAM: 8GB
- Memory: 128GB expandable UFS 3.0 with nano-memory of up to 256GB
- Camera: 40 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide), 1/1.54″, PDAF, Lazer AF
8 MP, f/2.4, 80mm (telephoto), 1/4″, PDAF, Lazer AF, OIS, 3x optical zoom
16 MP, f/2.2, 17mm (ultrawide), up to 4K @ 60fps video recording
- Selfie: 24 MP, f/2.0, 1080p video
- Connectivity: 5G(separate model), 4G LTE, Bluetooth 5.1, WiFi ac, GPS, USB Type-C, NFC, infrared port, headphone jack
- Security: under-screen fingerprint scanner, 2D facial mapping
- Battery: 4200mAh with 40W SuperCharge, 27W Wireless Charging, 12W-15W Reverse Wireless Charging
- OS: Open-source Android 10 with EMUI 10
- Colors: Space Silver, Emerald Green, Cosmic Purple, Black, Leather Forest Green, Leather Orange
- Price: estimated around €799 (~P46k) before taxes
- Release date: October in the Philippines