Meet the newest thin and light laptop on the market — Microsft Surface Laptop 3. Featuring nearly the same meticulous design of the Surface Laptop 2, the third generation now comes with a new 15″ model, 3rd-gen Ryzen Mobile Processor, and USB Type-C support for $999 or around P51k starting price for the 13.5″ model. The new 15″ variant will sell for at least $1199 (~P62k) in the US. Shipping will start on October 22nd.
Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 in 13.5″ and 15″ Models
First off, Microsoft is embracing the typical all-metal laptop build alongside the Alcantara-based keyboard variants. The small model comes in four colors — Sandstone Gold and Matte Black for all-metal models, and Cobalt Blue and Platinum for Alcantaraca fabric models. For the 15″, it comes in metal-clad Matte Black and Alcantara-clad Platinum Silver. The trackpad on the smaller model is said to be 20% larger. Aside from the sizes, the processors are also different.
The 13.5″ Surface Laptop 3 is sporting at least an Intel Core i5 10th-Gen Ice Lake processors, while the 15″ model is using 3rd-gen Ryzen “Microsoft Surface Edition” with Vega integrated graphics. The company claims that its new edition has slightly better graphics performance than your typical Ryzen laptop processors. Although you won’t be able to play demanding games on it, basic rendering and games should be handled with ease. That said, battery life goes up to 11.5 hours of typical usage.
Another new addition is support for USB-C. That means you can use that port for charging, however, you might want to stick with the proprietary Surface Connector as it’s guaranteed to deliver up to 80% battery life under an hour. Last but not least is the removable hard drive for easy upgrade. Do take note though that Microsoft is saying it’s easily replaceable by its technicians and not regular users.
Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 specs, price, release date in the Philippines
- Display: 13.5″ (2256 x 1504) and 15″ (2496 x 1664) and PixelSense Touchscreen, Surface Pen-enabled, 3:2 aspect ratio
- Design: all-metal, Alcantara keyboard
- Dimension: 12.1” x 8.8” x .57” (308 mm x 223 mm x 14.5 mm) and 13.4” x 9.6” x .57” (339.5 mm x 244 mm x 14.69 mm)
- CPU: Quad-core 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-1035G7 or i7-1065G7 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 3580U or AMD Ryzen™ 5 3580U (15″ only)
- GPU: Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics (Intel), AMD Radeon™ Vega 9 or 11 Graphics Microsoft Surface® Edition (AMD)
- RAM: 8GB or 16GB LPDDR4X RAM
- Storage: removable hard drive storage, at least 128GB SSD
- Ports: 1 x audio jack, 1 x USB Type-C, 1 x USB-A, 1 x Surface Connect port
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6: 802.11ax (13.5″), Wi-Fi 5: 802.11ac (15″), Bluetooth® Wireless 5.0 technology
- Security: Windows Hello
- Camera: 720p HD, Dual far-field Studio Mics
- Keyboard: Non-backlit
- Battery: Up to 11.5 hours of typical device usage
- Audio: Omnisonic Speakers with Dolby® Audio™ Premium
- Colors: All-metal — Sandstone Gold, Matte Black, Platinum Silver. Alcantara — Platinum Silver, Cobalt Blue
- OS: Windows 10 Home/Pro
- Release date: October 22nd, 2019 in the US
- Price: starts at $999 in the US or ~P52k in Philippine peso (13.5″) and $1199 (~P62k) (15″)