Samsung has announced that they will delay the launch and release of the Samsung Galaxy Fold after several units got broken screen particularly those sent to media for review.
The issue has become one of the most talked happenings in tech blogosphere lately as early reviewers have experienced getting the screen cracked and malfunctioning just hours after of using the device.
Though not all units have cracked screen, the large number of media affected by the folding problem was enough for the company to momentarily stop the launch of the Galaxy Fold.
The Samsung Galaxy Fold is the first entry of Samsung into the foldable race with other brands to follow like from Huawei and Xiaomi. The Galaxy Fold is priced at sub-$2000 USD or almost P105,000 in Philippine pesos.
There is no definite date on when the launch date of Galaxy Fold will resume.
With this mess on the Galaxy Fold, I think it will take more time before consumers could trust foldable devices considering the extra premium on the pricing.
Samsung Galaxy Fold 2019 specs, price, release date in the Philippines
- Display: 4.6-inch outside AMOLED outside screen, 7.3-inch foldable inside screen
- Design: Glass and Metal
- CPU: Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855 (7 nm), AI processor
- GPU: Adreno 640 graphics
- RAM: 12GB RAM
- Memory: 512GB
- Camera: 12 MP, f/1.5-2.4, 26mm (wide), 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS + 16 MP ultra-wide angle f/2.2, 12MP telephoto
- Selfie: Dual 10 MP + depth sensor, f/1.9, Dual Pixel PDAF, up to 4K @ 30fps video recording, 10MP front selfie outside
- Connectivity: 4G LTE-A, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, NFC, WiFi ax, USB Type-C, audio jack with 32-bit support
- Battery: 4300 mAh, Quick Charge
- Security: side-mounted fingerprint scanner
- OS: Android 9.0 Pie with One UI, Multi-window mode
- Release date: April 2019 in the USA, South Korea and select countries, Philippines TBA
- Price: $1980 or P103,000 Philippine pesos