The Mi Mix 3 was recently launched in an event held in Beijing, China. Xiaomi brought new technology innovation by announcing a new kind of slider phone. The slider mechanism is somewhat similar to the OPPO Find X’s, but with a twist. We were given a chance to get our hands on a Mi Mix 3 unit and we’re going to give you our initial impressions on the handset.
- Huawei Mate 20 Pro vs OPPO Find X – Camera, Performance, PUBG Test
- Xiaomi Black Shark vs Pocophone F1 Comparison Review
Before Apple popularized the notch craze, most of us weren’t really bothered by its existence until other Android smartphone brands hopped into the notched-display trend. By the looks of it, Vivo and OPPO then released handsets with innovative designs to get rid of the mentioned notch. Now, Xiaomi also released their version of a bezel-less display without the infamous notch, and yes, it looks gorgeous.
Again, the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 has the slider design that was first seen on the OPPO Find X but to make thing more exciting, Xiaomi ditched the motorized slider and make theirs a snapper slider. Users will need to manually snap the handset for the slider to appear. And according to Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun, the Mi Mix 3’s magnet sliding mechanism is more durable than the other smartphone brand’s slider phone.
As of now, we can’t really confirm if this is true since we only got our hands on a Mi Mix 3 unit for about an hour, we’ll absolutely make sure to test its slider once we got the unit in our HQ.
Furthermore, the Mi Mix 3 seems pretty comfortable when holding as its dimensions are slim, 157.9 x 74.7 x 8.5 mm. Though it weighs 218 g, it’s not that heavy, surprisingly.
The Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 sports a 6.39-inch 19.5:9 AMOLED display with screen resolution of 2340 x 1080px. As mentioned, a notch is nowhere to be seen so this means that this handset will surely provide great viewing experience to its users. We tried watching some short videos on it to see if colors are accurate, vibrant, and bright, and we were satisfied in our initial test.
In the camera department, it has AI dual rear cameras of 12MP IMX363 f/1.8 + 12MP S5K3M3 f/2.4 sensors. For taking selfies, this handset features 24MP Sony IMX576 + 2MP hidden AI dual front cameras – which are placed on the Mi Mix’s slider. Here are some sample shots:
The Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 octa-core processor clocked at 2.8GHz with Adreno 630 GPU. Going to its storage options, Xiaomi gave the consumers 3 choices for RAM: 6GB/8GB/10GB RAM. and 128GB or 256GB of internal storage. This handset runs on Android 9.0 Pie and is fueled by a 3,200mAh battery with fast charging technology,and carries support for wireless charging.
Price and Availability
Speaking of 10GB RAM variants, it’s 10GB+256GB RAM variant’s price is yet to be announced but the Palace Museum Edition (10GB+256GB) costs CNY 4,999 (Php 38,694). Xiaomi Philipines has yet to announce the PH price of the Mi Mix 3. We’ll surely give you guys an update when we get them.
- Display: 6.39-inch 19.5:9 AMOLED display @ 2340 x 1080px, 93.4% screen-to-body ratio, 103.8% NTSC color gamut, 60000:1 contrast ratio
- CPU: Snapdragon 845 2.8GHz octa-core processor
- GPU: Adreno 630 GPU
- Storage: 6GB/8GB/10GB RAM, 128/256GB ROM
- Rear Camera: 12MP IMX363 f/1.8 + 12MP S5K3M3 f/2.4 AI dual rear cameras w/ LED flash
- Front Camera: 24MP Sony IMX576 + 2MP hidden AI dual front cameras
- Battery: 3,200mAh battery with fast charging technology, wireless charging
- Connectivity: 5G LTE, 4×4 MIMO, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, Dual Frequency GPS, A-GPS, Multi-Function NFC,
- Features: Full-screen magnetic slider, Xiao AI voice assistant, Fingerprint Scanner (rear-mounted)
- Colors: Jade Green, Onyx Black, Sapphire Blue