Just like how Samsung released a small version of its S10 and Note 10 Series, Sony launched the Xperia 5 — a smaller version of Xperia 1 flagship phone. Despite the one-hand friendly chassis, you’re still getting the full Sony flagship experience.
Sony Xperia 5 Now Official: Smaller than Xperia 1 But Equally Powerful
Leaked renders of what we thought to be the Xperia 2 turned out to be the Xperia 5. Although Sony has skipped three numbers, the latest compact flagship from the company isn’t hugely different. It’s still a very tall smartphone due to the 21:9 screen. Speaking of, it packs an OLED FHD+ display with HDR support. To make media consumption more immersive, Xperia 5 comes with Dolby Atmos technology. Even with a tall design, the 68mm wide body means comfortable one-hand use and being small hands friendly.
To let users capture cinematic looks, the main cameras use three 12MP sensors. One is an f1.6 ultrawide 12mm equivalent, the other is an f2.4 telephoto 52mm equivalent, and the last one is an f2.4 main 16mm equivalent. While there are tons of Sony software to help you in creating cinema-grade videos, the main highlight is eye auto-focus technology. It tracks the subject’s eyes to keep him/her in focus, similar to Alpha cameras.
As for the rest, the smartphone features Snapdragon 855 with 128GB memory and 6GB RAM. While it does support 18W USB PD 2.0 fast charging, the 3140mAh capacity seems too small in today’s standards.
The price of Sony Xperia 5 was not included during the presentation. However, the company’s compact flagship phone in 2019 is said to go on sale in October.
Sony Xperia 5 specs, price, release date in the Philippines
- Display: 6.1-inch OLED FHD+ resolution, DCI-P3 100%, HDR BT.2020, Triluminos display, X-Reality Engine
- Design: IP68 water and dust resistant, Gorilla Glass 6, glass and aluminum
- CPU: Snapdragon 855 octa-core processor
- GPU: Adreno 640 graphics
- RAM: 6GB RAM
- Memory: 128GB expandable storage + shared microSD slot of up to 1TB
- Camera: 12 MP, f/1.6, 26mm (wide), 1/2.6″, 1.4µm, predictive Dual Pixel PDAF, 5-axis OIS
12 MP, f/2.4, 52mm (telephoto), 1/3.4″, 1.0µm, predictive PDAF, 2x optical zoom, 5-axis OIS
12 MP, f/2.4, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/3.4″, 1.0µm
- Selfie: 8 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (wide), 1/4″, 1.12µm
- Connectivity: 4G LTE-A, WiFi ac, NFC, GPS, Bluetooth 5.0, aptX HD
- Security: Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor, 3D Face Sensor
- Battery capacity: 3140 mAh battery, 18W USB PD 2.0
- OS: near-stock Android 9.0 Pie
- Ports: USB Type-C port
- Availability: October 2019 in Europe, TBD in the Philippines
- Price: TBD